Saturday 26 February 2011

Dinner Party

I chose the midnight blue velvet. Because this is a little short, and I am rather too fat to wear tights at the moment, I have to wear knee highs. This means that in order to cover any 'credibility gap' I need to wear my over the knee black suede boots, which do look very good with the dress.

Anyway, I arrived at the flat in Butler's Wharf, clutching my wine and a small box of chocs. To my horror, on arrival I was asked to remove my boots. I was just about to do this when I remembered some huge holes in the heels of my navy knee-highs. I then decided to pretend I would have great difficulty getting the boots off, and was excused. Dear me, had I known, apart from wearing decent socks I would have brought some shoes with me. I have not come across this situation since the fifties, when we all had to change shoes on entering the house.

I had met only one of the other guests before, but they were a decent lot, two in medical research, one consultant, an event organiser and an administrator. The dinner was a disaster for me, in that we started with a kind of Spanish omelette, which was good if a bit large, with salad, going on to a chick pea casserole with goats cheese. This was fine, though I did consume rather a lot. I managed to hold back on the wine, but all my efforts were ruined by the pudding, made by a Frenchman of course. Basically there were two large, creamy puddings, and we had to try both. First came a trio: crispy baked pineapple slice, with fresh cooked pineapple in a very sweet sauce, accompanied by a creamy pot of mousse. I had to consume all this, then a large spoonful of the next kind of creamy pud. All accompanied by a glass or two of very sweet muscat wine. Diet scuppered. Whole dinner at least 1200 calories.

Anyway it was a convivial occasion, but I was glad to escape from the calorie temptation into which I had fallen without protest. Tragic, really. But explains my unnatural bulk. Must do better next week.

Very surprisingly, lost half a pound this morning. I am sure that my sins will be revealed next Sunday. I really must be more careful. I blame the Frenchman.

No comments: