Monday 7 February 2011

Sunday Fun

My friends Evon and Kate arrived for a relaxed Sunday lunch. However, an hour before I became far from relaxed when the oven would not go on. Seems the cleaner had messed around with the integral timer. I have never used this since there had been no instructions for its use. I panicked, thought I was going to have to do coq au vin instead of roast chicken, and what on earth to do with the already assembled blackberry and apple crumble? At this point Dorothy rang from India to ask what present I thought Julian would like. I could not think at all, still in a panic, but eventually fiddled with the timer and the oven went on. The oven continued to be tiresome throughout the afternoon. I really must find out how to kill off the timer so it doesn't affect the oven.

Anyway, all was well, champagne cocktails were consumed, followed by red wine. Roast chicken with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pud, carrots, peas etc. were piled onto plates. I did manage to forego the potatoes and Yorkshires. However, as I opened the oven to reveal a very scrumptious blackberry and apple crumble, I was overcome. So glad I bought single cream, since this was added to my sins. Coffee afterwards.

We had a great time, exchanging news, chatting and financial advice from Evon, who seems to have her finger on the money pulse. She told us how an ex had bought his parents a fifty million pound yacht, with twelve full time staff. Dear me, I know a few people with plenty of money, but at this level my imagination fails me. Though as Edna O'Brien would say, I shan't join the 'begrudgers'.

No comments: