Sunday 29 November 2009

Rainy Weather, Bananas, Ham and New Shoes


Absolutely hissing down outside. Kooky is very cross with me. He still thinks I am controlling the weather and wants to go outside. He sneezed five times a couple of days ago which worried me, but seems fine otherwise and has not sneezed since. Whatever he had I now have as I have been sneezing a bit this morning. Feels slightly like a mild cold, or the beginning of something worse.

Opened a kitchen drawer yesterday to be confronted by a large bunch of terribly overripe bananas, almost worth throwing away. However, I made a sponge mix and added about six of the mashed bananas. Put them in a loaf tin in the oven at 170, turned down to 150 and cooked for an hour or so. The resulting banana loaf was very good, so ate a couple of slices and cut up the rest for freezing. I also boiled a joint of bacon and sliced for dinner last night with broad beans and potatoes, then sliced the rest and froze for Christmas. Bought a pair of 'granny' shoes - lace-ups with little heels from a granny shoe supplier called Hotter (above). They are a great success and remind me of the shoes my great-aunt Joan wore in the forties when she worked in the city. Of course Joan was as thin as a whippet and dressed like a 'fashion plate' as they used to call it, but never mind, my feet will look good anyway!

No comments: