Tuesday 24 March 2009

Mum's Day Flowers and Unsuccessful Choc and Coffee Cake


Here's my Mother's Day flowers.

After finishing the Queen and deciding the chin was too pointed, nose too long, etc. etc. did a sketch of Prince Charles, presumably with the same faults, then digressed to make a Nigel Slater chocolate cake with mascarpone coffee and maple syrup icing. Somehow his recipes never quite seem to work: the icing was far too runny. Next time I shall use less maple syrup, stronger but less coffee or even Camp liquid coffee, and just stick to butter icing with lots of icing sugar. I shall also make a coffee cake with walnuts and put walnuts on top. The one I made has firmed up a bit in the fridge, but I think I will slice it up and freeze it to serve with ice cream as a kind of pudding. At least the exercise made me buy some matching cake tins which I did not own before.

I have ordered the ingredients for my next dark fruit trifle which I shall make on Saturday and decorate on Sunday for the SE1 dinner party club, this week meeting at Nomad's flat at Butler's Wharf. Again, rather upmarket for us Elephant denizens.

No comments: