Thursday 7 January 2010

Thursday Evening


Did not venture out. I made a large soup by frying a large onion in goose fat, adding five cloves of garlic, a pack of carrot batons and one of new potatoes. I added some chorizo, a rasher of streaky bacon, some chicken stock and herbs and spices, including smoked paprika and cooked for 20 minutes before adding a tablespoon of tomato puree, and some blue cheese before serving. Had this for lunch, and there's enough for tomorrow.

At teatime I had some tea and cinnamon toast. I make this by lightly toasting some bread, buttering it, and then sprinkling on sugar mixed with cinnamon before toasting again. It's the first time I have had this for about ten years. Really good.

My last effort today was to fill a pastry case with fresh cherries. I then mixed two eggs with sugar, added some ground almonds (about half a cup), then half a container of supermarket custard and pouring over the top iof the cherries. I then cooked it in the oven for an hour (above). This is a bit experimental as it's the first time with ground almonds, a bit like a bakewell without the jam but with real cherries. I shall keep it in a cupboard until the day after tomorrow as Julian and Dorothy assure me that it tastes better this way and should not be kept in the fridge as this makes it damp. We shall see.

I shall see if Dorothy wants to go to Gray's tomorrow.

No comments: