Saturday 4 February 2012

Great Send-off


Yesterday attended my last official function: A pantomime and lunch at the Brick Lane music hall with the trustees, staff and punters.

It was great fun. Romy had reserved me a special table and a punter sent a very good bottle of champagne to this, starting things on a very positive footing. There was an excellent lunch, and I somehow had a call of nature at an inopportune moment, forestalling any reply I might have made to the Chairman's speech as Romy stood in. However, I was presented with: about 20 cards some with small gifts and money; a large card with 100 signatures from wellwishers, a gift box containing some Vera Wang Princess scent and other products; a year's subscription to Period Living; three antique glove boxes (something I had been look for for a long time); a huge bunch of flowers, and a cheque for £300. I was quite overwhelmed by all these gifts and handshakes and kisses from people wishing me well in my retirement. I shall write a note to thank everyone in the next newsletter. I had also had emails from our hamper providers and our major investment company. I am still a bit stunned by all this kindness.

I feel a bit of a fraud somehow, since I was just doing my job. Oh well.


There's a wonderful smell in the sitting room. Several blue hyacinth bulbs are now in bloom.

No comments: