Monday 19 January 2009

One Pot Cooking - (again)

A mutual friend went to see Roxy yesterday. She is still very unwell, but managed to say she might be having some experimental treatment. I do hope she feels better soon.

It was a quiet Sunday. Read the papers and had some capuccino at the shopping centre and popped into the Lye Torng later.

I found some ham in the freezer left over from Christmas, cut into fat slices. I purchased some vegetables, half-filled my stockpot with stock and chucked in a couple of sliced onions, three cloves of garlic, two bay leaves and two cloves. I then cubed the ham and put that in with some carrots, broccoli, about four handfuls of frozen peas with a small amount of mint and a handful of parsley. I checked the seasoning and simmered for half an hour. Using a draining spoon I removed the solid things - ham, peas etc, and had this for lunch with potatoes on the side. I shall reheat the pot tomorrow and do the same again. In Catalunya, as I have mentioned before, there is a similar dish with different meats called Carn d'Olla, where the liquid is served with some pasta shapes as a soup, and followed by the meats and dumplings as a main course. Quite a good meal using one pan, and frugal but nourishing. The nice thing about using ham is that the liquid remains very clear, and there is the option to add more ham, and perhaps a little sauerkraut at a later stage. I shall be adding some of the liquid to give a ham flavour to some split peas which I shall cook today.

I have found some good designer frames on Ebay which are very cheap. Also some opticians who make up glasses very cheaply if you can provide your prescription. Single vision lenses only probably. I have also managed to find some chandelier prisms for £1 each on Ebay, so will be hanging some in the window when they come.

No comments: