Tuesday 5 May 2009

Geriatric Ponderings

Miscellaneous mind wanderings: I blame my GP for taking me off HRT. Since that time my muscles have become progressively more weak. Discussed this with several other oldies who have experienced the same thing. I expect our bone density is crap.

Buying glass ice cream and pudding bowls from the sixties on Ebay - quite obviously food helpings were then much smaller.

After I've eaten all the chocs, pate and so on I purchased in France, my new diet will be: I coffee and a plain croissant for breakfast, a sandwich and piece of fruit plus some raw vegetables for lunch, and for dinner, a pile of chopped iceberg lettuce with a small can of drained tuna and six or seven grates of parmesan, dressed with some lemon or balsamic vinegar. Followed by a large orange or banana.

We shall see.


Speaking to someone who recently visited a London teaching hospital, they told me that their friend in the geriatric ward was left lying in poo. I observed a similar event in another London teaching hospital - when the staff were approached (two were on duty) they said they could not clean up the patient because of health and safety, so we ended up doing it. Why don't they 'put us down' or clean us up? You wouldn't treat a dog like that. Normally I would be all for plenty of training for nurses. But is it the right training? They seem to have become too grand to do the basic tasks which have always fallen to nurses in the past.

No comments: