Wednesday 27 May 2009

Reader's Digest - Must Buy!

Blast from the past - just received one of those big yellow envelopes with lots of 'urgent - time sensitive' and other stickers all over from the Reader's Digest, urging me to subscribed and win a quarter of a million, plus a car, a TV etc. etc. Before throwing it away I did the fatal thing and read the letter. I have to say it's cheap: £14.99 for a year's subscription, apparently 64% off. Which will win? My love for a bargain and absolutely anything to read, or the shame of anyone seeing a Reader's Digest in my flat, confirming my utterly lowbrow status? Love for a bargain, definitely! I shall stick the application slips in the 'yes' envelope and send them off.

When I went to a convent for a few years as a small child I became addicted to Reader's Digest. All the nuns read it avidly. I was always 'increasing my word power' and reading short, sensational articles. Absolutely perfect loo stuff (for reading, I mean). Absolutely can't wait for the first little retro copy to drop through my letterbox. Even if I don't win the money, car, TV etc.

No comments: