Monday 18 May 2009

Swollen Foot and Ankle

After lunch yesterday I went to my GP but couldn't see anyone until Friday. So I decided to go to Minor Injuries at Guy's. My pulses in the leg are apparently fine, and there are no totally obvious signs of DVT but they could not exclude it. Because they only deal with minor injuries they could not investigate it further and suggested I went back to the GP. They suggested that possibly all the swelling from the knee had not quite disappeared and the residual liquid had descended to the ankle, so that was what might be causing the swelling in the ankle and foot on one side. Slightly reassured, I will just hope it eventually goes away. However, since they were keen for me to visit the GP to exclude a DVT I find it a bit worrying that hospitals do not follow through these things from their own clinics. When I worked in a hospital and had a few leg pains, the consultant sent me straight to the emergency department and they urgently did tests then and there.

Things definitely aren't what they used to be.

No comments: