Monday 23 February 2009

Kitchen Mess

Oh dear. I should never have agreed to take part in the dinner party thing. I had some very expensive wild alaskan salmon which I attempted to gently poach today. Suddenly horrible white curds arose and also coated the salmon. I fished the pieces out and skinned them. When I cut them in half they were also rather raw, so I microwaved the pieces, just for about one and a half minutes, and they came out really overcooked and tough, and unservable, though the flavour was fine. The obvious thing to do at this stage would have been to chuck the lot and buy some more from Tesco's. It's a wartime inherited thing and I can't bear to waste the food. I made some mayo which tasted very bitter as I had used olive oil. I mixed it half and half with Hellman's which improved it a bit. I then chucked it in the food processor with the salmon, which made a stiffish puree. I added some lemon juice and dill, and it was still rather bitty, so chucked in half a large greek yoghourt. This has rendered it edible. If I was good with gelatine and had some moulds I could have made a mousse, but I am not. I may try and find six small pots to put it in, and sprinkle brown shrimps on top with a bit of dill and a pinch of paprika to tart it up a bit. Why do I do these things ? Who could go wrong poaching a few pieces of salmon?

Cooking is really not my forte. I shall stick to painting the pots. Having said that I made quite a good stock pot last night, full of vegetables and boiling bacon. Had some last night and it was excellent.

No comments: