Friday 13 February 2009

Messing with Paints


Ventured into charcoal and paint yesterday. Results somewhat dubious but I am not going to let that stop me having fun with paint - last night I recalled how much I used to like painting - though the artificial light affected everything it was still hugely enjoyable to do.

I may lash out and purchase some large paper today.

Finally I am seeing myself not as me but just as a subject - so it really doesn't matter if I look like an ogre! I am just something to draw and paint in the same way as a bowl of fruit, a vase of flowers or anything else. When I improve I shall attack the views from the windows here, which is my current ambition.

I just wish I had the discipline of Morandi, but I am just a frivolous old woman - distracted by everything in the world and need to concentrate much more on the job in hand. It is ridiculous to think I spent a year doing A level and prefoundation at college, followed by a year's foundation, then a five year part time degree, i.e. seven years training in Fine Art, only to stop doing it. I suppose to some extent all that training does make on see the world in a different way, but it is good to get back to the 'nitty gritty' of it. I should probably go to an exhibition or two, since they often seem to inspire me a little. Perhaps seeing The Pitmen Painters was good in this respect - took me back to the classroom atmostphere.

No comments: