Sunday 26 December 2010

Boxing Day


Yesterday, Julian and Dorothy turned up, laden with gifts and food. Dorothy has been rather unwell with some kind of 'flu virus, but is recovering slowly. Fortunately he has a week in which to get better, but certainly seemed on form last night. Nibby rang from Oz. She had a super Christmas Eve and day, dining with friends on what sounded like masses of wonderful seafood.

We had the usual Christmas Day blowout, starting with tea and Pandoro (breakfast), then continuing later with champagne, jamon and other cold meats, all eventually progressing to a vast Label Anglaise chicken which came out of the oven looking like a small turkey, but was delicious and moist. Because we had eaten so much during the day, puddings and cheese were not an option and we ended with some excellent coffee from my Nespresso.

We spent ages unwrapping the presents: I acquired a wonderful collection from Romy, including a bag calender for next year; multiple gifts from Madeleine, with a super Cath Kidston umbrella; gorgeous scent and a very needed sewing box from Julian and Dorothy, from Liberty. Now I can proudly keep my sewing kit on view, rather than hidden where I can never find it.

On the weight loss front I devoured well over 2000 calories during the day. Despite this, I had lost 1lb this morning. No doubt I shall pay with a huge weight gain next week, especially since there's so much food left in the house. I somehow cannot bear to throw away cartons of double cream, preferring to add cream to my otherwise sensible porridge. Oh dear.

After a visit to the Liberty sale, Dorothy and Julian will return to help demolish some of the remaining food mountain tonight. We shall have chestnut and vegetable soup, followed by smoked salmon, cold chicken, ham and salads, followed by Christmas pudding or mini fruit cakes bought from Fortnums, and fruit salad. And more coffee. We may play some of the silly games I bought for Julian and Dorothy. By the way, don't bother to buy the Science Museum pen that is supposed to work by depositing some of its nib on the paper. It doesn't work. Definitely a real damp squib. Will no doubt be on sale. I had purchased it in M & S for Dorothy, who likes these (normally clever) things.

Text from my hostess on Christmas Eve. Seems they all went off for Midnight Mass at Southwark Cathedral, which was very good.

No comments: