Sunday 19 December 2010

Jolly Scotsman and Chains

Put my chains on my boots and ventured forth to catch a cab to Marks, where I purchased a few things, including a newspaper, then into Eroma cafe for a capuccino and a read. Outside sat a jolly red-faced man, dressed for the weather with heavy walking boots. I remarked on his choosing to sit outside. 'Where I come from it's a summer day' he replied. Seems he was a hardy type from the north of Scotland. Even the Walworth Road looks quite picturesque when covered in snow.

The trouble with boot chains is that if you wear them inside most floors become an ice rink. The thing to do is wear them outside, then remove them in the cab and chance the short, icy walk at your destination.

The cab driver, after hearing of our trip to Thoresby Hall, now wants to go there, and I suspect he will. I shall expect a huge discount if I return there.

No comments: