Friday 27 July 2012

Blimey - life moves on apace

Looking up the weather in Macca while chatting with Nibby on my phone, a text appeared to ask if Nils could move in next Wednesday. Fab! Later on, while putting together a few postcards for my exhibition in Brixton, a call came from Romy offering me a day's work in Broadstairs, so agreed with alacrity. The next day we took a coach to Broadstairs managing to avoid the Olympic torch road closures. Crowds were already gathering in the Old Kent Road at around 10.15 so we waved graciously to the populace as we passed. Broadstairs is a gorgeous old place, very unspoiled and full of lovely little shops and houses. The beach is sandy and there's a little port area with a small pub where we had a superb lunch, thanks to Romy. It was good to see the punters again, who politely said they had missed me. Arriving back I had to dash home and change and feed the beast before setting off for Brixton. Found the gallery all ready to receive guests and met one or two people. I felt rather out of place as an oldie among such young people, but fortunately Dorothy and Julian arrived to keep me company. Julian suggested picking up jerk chicken and oxtail from a Jamaican shop and taking it home to my place for dinner, so we did this. It was very good indeed and Dorothy kindly paid, so I was taken out twice in the same day. I somehow doubt if I will sell any work, but left a small folder and some cards, as well as the two larger framed works. Since then I have been making up more cards and prints of Lye Torng which I will offer for sale at the last night party on Saturday. I also did two more sketches in the Lye Torng - one is quite similar to my larger one, but smaller than A4 and the other is of the last lunch customers today, the last full day. Needless to say I felt obliged to have a chicken Panang curry.

No comments: