Wednesday 6 October 2010

Wodin's Day

About odd names, and remembering some of the girls names from my schools, I remember a Lalage, Loveday, Persephone; and some of the surnames were equally odd: Boddan- Whetham, Pellew, and so on. These names were floating through my age-befuddled mind which then reminded me of the words to the school song of one of my schools, probably written by a pupil, which began: 'Said Thorey Gage-Gardner in nineteen-oh- one: 'let Farnham Girls' Grammar School now be begun'.' Dear me, I wonder if they ever changed the words? These were sung to a rousing tune,and on many occasions.

Talking to Nibby on Sunday, I was glad to hear that I am not the only one to indulge in weeks of displacement activities to put off the awful moment of putting brush to canvas. Seems her friend Mim does the same thing. Though the discipline of painting together on a particular day every week must help concentrate the mind a bit.

Blow me. Was googling Thory (correct spelling) Gage Gardiner, and it turns out he was a rector of St. George the Martyr Church many years ago. Small world.

No comments: