Saturday 27 November 2010

Bloody Cold Outside

It is. Last night, I dug my old Belling electric fire out. It does make strange noises which I seem to recall from the old days of electric heating - kind of buzzing noises coming from the coiled wires on the elements, which should probably be alarming but are oddly comforting, and the warm glow is rather good. I normally only drag this out in extreme weather when there is thick snow outside, but last night it felt so cold, despite wearing a thick cardigan. I suspect my central heating is a little inadequate. Anyway I left it on constant all night, so this morning the house is slightly less cold.

Yesterday I went to Borough market, clutching a painting of Richard, the proprietor of The Rake, done from a photograph several years old. A few people had admired this so I assumed it wasn't completely unflattering. Richard was nowhere to be found so I left it with an employee at his beer stall and scarpered, just in case it was less flattering than I had imagined.

I purchased some more smoked paprika and some of those rather good salted Marcona large almonds for Christmas. I did a little shopping at Sainsbury's on the way home, and noticed they had some very pretty tiny iced fruit cakes with silver stars on top. Excellent for a couple, or a small family who don't want to be left with the usual excess after Christmas.

Despite emailing, my niece has still not sent me her address. I hope this arrives before Christmas. She must be very busy with two small children and a new house. I shall see if Nibby has it. Nibby always pretends to be a completely disorganised artist, but is very hard headed underneath it all. Falling on her feet is her specialty, whatever happens to her. I am the reverse of this, pretending to know what I am doing when I haven't a clue. Oh well.

No comments: