Tuesday 16 November 2010

Eating for England

Hair done. Tony is gradually cutting out the layers, but some way to go yet. Cheered by this, I picked the chicken and vegetables out of a green curry at Lye Torng, and two spoonfuls of the rice for lunch. Became slightly carried away in the evening, and had some rich chicken soup with red wine, peas, and bits of chicken in it, followed by a (fortunately very small) M & S creme brulee. This took me nearly 300 calories over my daily allowance, which will be paid for today. Must be more cautious, particularly since I have to lunch out on Thursday.

Finished watching Downton Abbey on Sunday. It was very good, but small inaccuracies were irritating here and there, usually in language, such as calling a car a 'motor' which would not have happened. A car was either a motor-car, or a car, but never a 'motor' in upper class circles. I also doubt whether the butler would have hugged the daughter of the house under any circumstances. Over time, probably, historical details become less accurate, but it probably doesn't matter because fewer and fewer people who care about these are still alive. Only fussy old people like me even notice these things. Oh well.

I am still attempting to mend my ways, to try and prove that one can teach an old bitch new tricks, but I suspect I shall always be a miserable sinner. Being nice to everyone is rather uphill work, and certainly doesn't come easily. I must also make a huge effort to be enthusiastic, another hard task for a rather jaded old bat. Ho hum. If I don't have much more success fairly soon, 'Qualities of a Leader' may find a new home with Dorian, who has expressed some interest in reading it.

No comments: