Wednesday 23 January 2008

All About My Food

On the way to an appointment, Romy and I stopped for lunch at Arancia. The place was deserted, but open. They offer a fantastic two or three course set lunch and we had one of these and also one lunch a la carte. We had starters of fabulous mushroom soup and fresh salmon salad, followed by pasta with lovely garlicky tomato sauce, and free range chicken grilled with vegetables, and puds of cinnamon rice and chocolate semifreddo with cream and raspberry coulis. Their wine is fantastic value with plenty of choice for around £12, all carefully chosen. We had coffees before dashing off. Arancia is absolutely in the middle of nowhere, but on the 1 bus route. It is one of Dorothy and Julian's favourite places. Dorian didn't like it much as the place is rather basic with paper table covers and so on. It reminds me of the sort of arty places I used to go to in the sixties in Paris, and the food is like something you might find in Italy.

Later back in the office Julian rang to offer to feed Malvolio, but I was on my way back and said not to bother. I made a large pan of soup last night, with onions, carrots, a parsnip, a turnip, some chicken and chicken stock, some smoked paprika and garlic, other seasonings, a couple of potatoes and some garlic sausage. Oh, and some tomato. I shall consume this with liberal amounts of cheese on top over the next day or two which will avoid the need for cooking. Otherwise in the kitchen I shall shake my preserved fruit pots, and if overcome by hunger, try and consume pickled onions and beetroot rather than reaching for the chocs. Hmmm.

No comments: