Monday 28 January 2008

More Drink Than Food - and Vet Visit

Well it's all happening chez bag lady : had a cryptic message from Julian and Dorothy saying they weren't coming here after all because 'something had come up', then a text from an old college friend looking around the war museum suggesting we meet here. I went to the local pensioner party and was introduced to the mayor by one of our trustees who was helping to run the party, stayed for an hour or so and came back in time for my friend to arrive. We just sat about chatting, drinking prosecco and eating marcona almonds until about nine. My friend's son is on a world adventure before settling down and getting married. He is a copywriter and doing very well, and has recently won a prestigious gold award for his work, something called the DMA for best copy and also for brand driving, whatever that is. He recently took my friend to Les Trois Garcons for a birthday meal which she thoroughly enjoyed. This is the place we went to years ago with another friend and they had enjoyed the meal but been horrified by the prices.

Today I managed to convey Malvolio to the vet, despite having been refused by the first cab driver: 'I won't take a cat' he whinged. The second driver was much more human, and said he'd had a ferret, a long haired rabbit, a hamster and no end of cats and dogs in his cab recently. I bought two trays of diabetic cat food and some more insulin. I was not forced to have blood tests for him, which was fortunate, as the bill came to £119, which added to £15 for cabs in both directions, seemed quite expensive enough. However he should have a test within the next few months, apparently. His insulin has been reduced. Apparently the last blood test showed he was just borderline diabetic, so he might be able to do without the insulin eventually and just have the special diet.

I have just found out that the sender of yet another cryptic message was my son, using an unfamiliar telephone.

No comments: