Saturday 12 January 2008

Foodfest: Faisan au Vin and Prunes in Armagnac

I spent ages watching DVDs, in between filling and emptying the washing machine and dishwasher. I watched a badly made Spanish film, unfortunately the subtitles did not work and the sound was not good, called something like 'How to be a woman and not die in the attempt' with Carmen Maura. Then I saw 'Bad Education' again after attempting to watch a freebie by Jean Luc Godard about the Rolling Stones, which was rather boring.

Today I shall attempt to cook a pheasant in red wine, which may or may not be a good idea. I shall also purchase some brandy and soak some prunes in tea overnight before preserving them in the brandy. I found a good Australian recipe for this on the internet. It occurred to be that these would make a great pud with ice cream, or cream, and will keep for ages. I will need to find a suitable jar to keep them in. Might find something in the shopping centre.

It is also Russian New Year in Trafalgar Square from 12 to 7pm. Doubt if I will have the energy to get up there. We shall see.

Well, I didn't make it to Trafalgar Square but will have a Sense and Sensibility and Lark Rise to Candleford telefest today. The pheasant was so good that having plenty of the wine mixture left, I am defrosting another pheasant to cook in it tomorrow. I am currently reducing the sugar and water mix for the prunes which have been soaked in Earl Grey, and shall add the syrup and plenty of decent Armagnac tomorrow in the hope of having puds for months to come.

No comments: