Friday 11 January 2008

More Funereal Matters


Forgot to mention the horses and glass funeral carriage used. It is an old one owned by Albins, who are the funeral directors of choice in these parts, and very professional they are too. We took a circuitous route through South London to the crematorium because of the horses.

Impressive though it was, I think I would rather have an ordinary hearse and absolutely no flowers. Well, perhaps one big white bunch of lilies on the coffin! I quite fancy a cardboard coffin though.

Honor Oak is a very busy crematorium, with one funeral party just leaving as we arrived. In fact as we left, another funeral party came in, with three New Orleans jazz musicians in front playing 'just a closer walk with thee'. The musicians looked a bit tatty: hairy old guys with woolly hats, reminding me a bit of my ex husband, but certainly played well. It was quite cheering actually. I wouldn't mind that myself, with slightly smarter musicians.

I read that George Melly had lots of jazz music at his funeral, and had a cardboard coffin decorated by members of the family, who placed things in the hearse which were personal to George, such as fishing lines and so on. Seems like a good idea.

No comments: