Monday 28 January 2008

Oldie Clothes

Buying those two dresses made me think about the sort of clothes I would wear these days.

I think I have got to the stage where, though I am still interested in fashion to some extent in a spectator kind of way, for my own clothes I am more interested in comfort, but also not really worried about looking eccentric, hence the Edna Everage specs. There are limits though. Last year I bought two of the same dresses, but in bright red and bright green. When I tried them on, it was apparent that, for one thing they were very much too big, and for another, when I put them on I looked like a huge, slowly moving blob of bright colour. The dresses have not been worn outside the house. I am hoping that this time, the right size and darker colours will look better and merit a public airing. Bright colours look all right on me only if they are used in small accessories, or if the material is patterned.

The comfort factor extends to shoes, which I wear slightly larger and if possible, wider, with either a kitten heel (which is OK with very pointy toes because it is so low and your toes are not forced down so hard ) or flattish, sensible heels.

I really must throw some stuff away, and writing this has reminded me that I have a pair of otherwise very nice brown boots, but with heels that are too high and uncomfortable. I shall definitely chuck them out.

Somehow I can sympathise with the wearing of beige when you get to a certain age though. Because you become invisible to some extent with age, in my case from the age of about 55, you then complete the process yourself by wearing very unnoticeable clothes. I suspect I shall never do this.

I still have a bit of fun with clothes, and despite all my talk about comfort and sensible clothes, will probably always keep buying, and sometimes even wearing, totally daft 'unsuitable' things. When Madeleine visited a few weeks ago, she almost jumped back from the doorstep at the sight of me, before collecting herself and saying how well my purplish magenta lipstick went with my Edna specs.

No comments: