Monday 14 December 2009

Monday Morning

There are so many rather irritating figures of speech and jargon today, such as 'blue sky thinking', 'glass ceiling', 'step up to the plate', 'bring to the table', 'take a view' etc. The latest I have come across is 'scope out'. The people using these seem in the main to be either business people or political apparatchiks. They seem to be trying to impress the listener or reader that the speaker/writer actually is familiar with those expressions and thus somehow rather 'au fait' or 'up with the times', rather than making their meaning clear. I don't know why I am 'rabbiting on' about this. Rant over.

I shall have to purchase some wrapping paper and tape today. And get some more money.

I recently found that a lovely Russian shawl Julia brought me years ago has been attacked badly by moths, despite all my efforts. I have purchased two more on Ebay, but they aren't nearly as nice. They will come in handy with the cold weather we are now expecting. I may bring my electric fire upstairs soon as the house is becoming a little chilly. I was doing a charity bid on Ebay for a Henry Holland Christmas stocking but was pipped at the post, which was probably just as well, financially speaking. The Gavin Turk one went for just short of £900, which, considering it was full of nice arty things was probably a bargain, in that the stocking itself was probably worth more than that amount.

Shopping for wrapping paper and so on today. Tonight concert at Southwark Cathedral. Tomorrow, work.

No comments: