Saturday 5 December 2009

Surprise Present and Fake Tree



A wonderful surprise - a beautiful white orchid arrived via Interflora from Catriona for my birthday this morning. Had lunch at Lye Torng and Louise came with me to the framers and carried back my paintings to the house. People are so kind.

I don't know what possessed me, but I dragged the huge box containing the fake tree upstairs. I had quite forgotten that it was a huge six foot job, or that fake snow drops off everywhere. It came in three pieces with a stand. I spent ages unfolding the branches, spraying 'snow' everywhere. When I finally stuffed it into a corner I got the huge set of lights out and draped them over it. Unfortunately the tree had less fake snow on by this time, so I should have purchased lights with green rather than clear wires. Oh well. It looks quite pretty lit up. The main problem is that the plug is hidden well behind the tree, low on the wall. For quite a while after I first turned the switch on, I had frightful pains on the left side of my chest, a bit alarming, but presumably caused by twisting myself up to do this. To turn them off I managed to use a stick. I think what I actually need is a short extension lead which I should purchase today. I still have to tidy the base up a bit and perhaps find a star or fairy for the top.

It really is a bit early for a tree, but it is all part of the effort to generate some enthusiasm about Christmas despite the depressing goings-on with my old and new neighbours. I am quite cheery about the puddings at least.

No comments: