Saturday 19 May 2007

Boo Hoo - Didn't Get the Part!

Back from the audition. Actually it was quite fun. All those hopefuls standing and sitting around with their signature dishes, some giving out their recipes and publicity shots. One group with matching T shirts.

I sat around a lot and gave two brief interviews to camera before being ushered in to stand on a red cross and pitch (very briefly) to three celebrity chefs. John Burton Race was one, there was a dark bullet headed one who looked familiar, and Gilly Goolden in the middle. I briefly described the dish and showed my snaps. Gilly Goolden was good cop and liked it but the others said there were only two places, one in Spain (El Bulli?) where such things were done and they basically did not agree with mucking around with perfectly good Stilton. I think they could have been having a pop at Heston Blumenthal of the Fat Duck. So that was it.

As I walked out the camera crew were ready, in true reality TV style to ask how I felt, to which I replied that I was delighted as I would be able to stop fiddling around with Stilton and my only regret at not getting through was that I had no excuse to purchase an expensive ice cream machine to actually make the stuff. Mind you, if Ferran Adria and Heston Blumenthal had been selecting - who knows? I had no idea their food was so unpopular with some other chefs, since it obviously goes down well with punters. Maybe it is a cult thing.

The crew asked me if I would be willing to take part in any future TV cookery programmes and I agreed. I am not sure why, but I suppose it was quite amusing and an interesting experience. Oh dear, when the programme is aired, I will be portrayed as one of those mad loonies with hopeless dishes! Rather like the X-factor failures.

No comments: