Saturday 5 May 2007

Dorothy and Julian Come to Dine


I asked my son and daughter-in-law to provide me with pseudonyms. My son chose Dorothy and his wife Julian.

Today Dorothy and Julian came around to help. Julian carried a large daisy plant I had bought at Borough market and I cunningly placed the pot amid deep foliage, so it looks as though it has always been growing there.

Dorothy spent hours dismantling my new garden furniture and reassembling the lot as I had somehow put it together completely wrongly. Meanwhile Julian cleared up my front basement plants and swept all the mess up, replacing a moribund plant with a nicer one from my back garden.

Dorothy, not to be outdone, and with some help from Julian, put the venetian blind up in my kitchen. Privacy at last. Julian then cooked a wonderful roast chicken which we had with basmati rice and roast asparagus, followed by country cheddar and Colston Bassett Stilton with rioja and oat biscuits.

All this took from about 4.30 to 11pm. I am now rather happily tired, and even my cat seems more content as he has unusually had some chicken leftovers.

I showed Dorothy my new biker's jacket, not totally authentic, but not far off. He said it looked better than he thought it would. Not sure if this is a compliment, but probably is, coming from him.

No comments: