Friday 11 May 2007

Sans Camera, Sans Meetings, Avec Lunch but Sans Local

Oh dear. I forgot to mention that when I started taking photos at Woburn, my digital camera immediately ran out of power. I was going to recharge the battery today, but in all the household chaos I have managed to lose the cables and battery charging case. I know they were in a carrier bag and hope it has not inadvertently been thrown away. Have looked everywhere.

Trying to organise a meeting for the vixens. About 30 emails have passed back and forth. Three can do 25th May (just), three can do 26th May, three can do 5,7 and 13 June, and two can do 4,6 and 12 June. Will just have to wait until there is a date four people can actually make. It looks fairly hopeless so I shall give up for the time being and let the other three organise something.

Pouring with rain outside. I had a lunch del dia at La Bodeguita at the top of Elephant and Castle. This consisted of very good sopa de frijoles, which turned out to be soup with red kidney beans, followed by a pork kind of steak with plantain and rice plus a coke for £5, to which I added a cappucino afterwards. The staff are very well mannered and attentive. Excellent value.

My friend Dorian told me the pub up the road will be turned into a hotel or hostel, open to residents only. Most of the elderly people around here are regulars, which will make life very difficult for them as there is no other comparable place. They are also getting rid of the local chemist shop, again the only local one, which will be a nuisance. Not sure if the pub will be a proper hotel or a homeless hostel.

No comments: