Monday 14 May 2007

Stilton Lace, Little Black Dress and Parisian Chic d'Antan

Have now taken the snaps and sent them off. I hope they will be ready for the audition. The Stilton lace looks rather fine in small pieces dotted about a white square plate.

Yielded to temptation and bought another little black dress from Marks & Spencer. I think I shall start collecting black dresses. With any luck I can stick to these for life, rather than trying to find tops and skirts or pants which match. I can just change the accessories.

Reminds me of France many years ago when I lived there. I used to wonder why the French girls always looked so chic. After observing them for a while, wandering from cafe to cafe, I started to notice that they had very few clothes, often all in the same or similar colours, but regularly changed their accessories: bags, belts, shoes, sunglasses etc.

One girl wore a dress for a week (presumably washing it at night) but it looked different every day because of the accessory change. One day she wore it with a narrow white belt on the hips, white flat sandals and white sunglasses with a black and white bag with a chain. The next day it was with large red beads around her neck, no belt, a red sunhat and high heeled shoes, and so on, with not only different colours but different accessories from tiny neck scarves, stoles, hats, bold earrings, very wide belts, low slung narrow ones, bags of all styles and sizes, and on her feet, anything from stilettos to flat toepost sandals. Some of the colours were plain, some patterned. This was many years ago when clothes were very expensive, but accessories could be cheap and cheerful. Perhaps I shall take up this idea. Mind you these days there is such a label obsession, and people are more interested in how much an accessory costs and who makes it than what it actually looks like. Especially bags it would seem this year. I shall definitely buck the trend here!

No comments: