Saturday 12 May 2007

Bad Cooking, Shopping and More Cooking

I have become slightly obsessed by this hen idea. Went to a site called Eglu. It seems you definitely need two hens as they like company. Unfortunately in addition to the hen house they need quite a long run which is also provided as are the hens and feed if you want. If I moved some of my plants from the side of the house I might just have room. It would be nice having my own eggs and the hens would keep my cat amused. It is quite expensive, but worked out that I spend about £3 a week on eggs so it would pay for itself in a year or so. Apparently the eggs are small and plentiful to begin with, and become larger and less plentiful as the hens get older. Maybe the eggs from Mabel Pearman's Burford Browns come from older hens. Aha....... shall google for more hen information. I think my sister told me I should get bantams as they are smaller and scratch around less.

Have googled a bit more. There is quite a nice Cotswold company who provide a larger wooden hutch and a couple of hens for a bit less. There is also another company who do a small hutch with integral run which looks a better size for me.

Just made quite a nice lamb and bean curry. I think this is a displacement activity. Really I should be out buying cream and Stilton and looking up savoury biscuit recipes.

Just made a batch of biscuits. They have come out more like flattened scones. I really dont think the baking powder in the recipe was a good idea. Shall have to try again.

Have now mixed plain flour with an equal quantity of grated blue cheese, seasoned with black pepper caraway seeds and made quite wet with milk and poured into a baking tin in a hot oven. Mmmm - I wonder. Just realised I have forgotten to add some porridge oats. Will try again later. After I go shopping. Cooking is really not my thing. Oh dear. The so-called biscuit has come out as something very soggy. try again I think. Have now purchased the cheese and cream to make more ice cream.

No comments: