Saturday 27 October 2007

Chest Infections, Bad Old Days and Sunday Lunch

Eventually heard from Dorothy, trying to find a plumber to do their bathroom. Dorothy has been ill for two weeks now, and Julian is also now ill, poor things. Dorothy has offered to assemble the furniture when the floor has been done. I think they should try and drag some antibiotics out of the GP as they seem to have chest infections. I hope they will ring me if they need anything. Unfortunately Dorothy is working on a huge project and can't take time off, which I am sure has prolonged the whole thing.

Years ago I used to work through illnesses. I well remember having to force myself to go into work, taking anything to appear better to my employers (usually antibiotics from day one), going to bed almost as soon as I could after collecting, feeding and putting Dorothy to bed and then doing the minimum at weekends and just trying to get lots of sleep. We all used to take masses of antibiotics in those days to keep working. Women were always under pressure if they had children. They used to pretend to be ill if their child was ill in order to keep their jobs, as employers were not keen to employ mothers anyway, and signs of inadequate childcare could lead to sacking.

Pierre rang to say hello late in the evening and woke me up. I was asleep in front of the TV as usual. Early Roxy rang and we are having lunch today, maybe at Roast if I can get a table late enough for Roxy as she is a late getter-upper, or the Slug and Lettuce who do lunch for longer failing this. These are the nearest places which do Sunday lunch which may be edible. I think there's some kind of a gastro-pub in Borough called the Royal Oak in Tabard Street, but I get lost in the wilds of Borough once I wander away from the High Street.

No comments: