Thursday 18 October 2007

Foxy and Whinge

Rather a busy day with an evening meeting. Though this finished at 9pm I had some post to deliver to Julian and Dorothy who live nearby. Despite a delicious coffee I felt so tired that Dorothy called a minicab to take me home, but this never arrived, so I went to the bus stop. After two buses had driven straight past the stop I managed to hail a cab and got home at 11pm. As the cab was turning at the bottom of my street, a large fox trotted past. It looked like a very healthy young fox, rather than one of the more bedraggled urban foxes.

I have been listening to all the debate about the sudden resignation of Menzies Campbell. Considering the recent anti ageist legislation it is quite strange to hear all the columnists and politicians whingeing about his advanced age and how ' he was an Edwardian, gentlemanly figure, completely unsuited to the cut and thrust of modern politics.' This has usually been expressed in rather smug, gloating terms, as if to praise modern politics.

This kind of attitude seems to copy Americans in their eagerness to show how tough they are by working more hours and giving up traditional tea, coffee and lunch breaks, and sometimes, annual holidays. There is an increasingly culture of aggressive management and bullying in the workplace . In my humble opinion, rather than praiseworthy, this is the unacceptable and rather small, sad face of modern society.

Rant over. Perhaps I should write something in praise of so-called 'Spanish practices.'

On a more positive note, Madeleine has now faxed me the revised ITV contract which I have now signed and may lead to a release of a small cheque in my direction. And there is yet another ITV scandal on the box tonight about selection of quiz candidates for their telegenic looks and miscounting of votes. Deja vu.

No comments: