Wednesday 3 October 2007

Post Still Delayed, Chowder and Self-Pity


Chowder.

Now 11.45 and parcel post have not yet redelivered. However had a clothes delivery earlier so staying at home has not been entirely wasted. Done some washing and clearing up too.

Having some raw prawns, a small bit of smoked haddock, some carrots and celery lying around I decided to make a fish stew, which I have now turned into a kind of chowder without bacon. Fried a chopped onion in butter, added lots of garlic, some bayleaves, salt, pepper and cinnamon and some water, put in some mushrooms, chopped carrots and celery and poached the haddock, took it out and skinned it and popped back in with the raw prawns. These will cook for too long but never mind. I have added some cream and lots of black pepper and a handful of spiral pasta. It tastes OK so far but the veggies are still a bit raw. We shall see. Will probably cook, leave to cool and reheat later served with soda bread and maybe a bit of parmesan, or maybe not. I have become rather fond of chowders - this is the second I have made recently.

I am still quite frustrated about the sitting room as I now feel it is pointless getting any quotes for anything until I can get someone to remove the sofa and put the TV downstairs, not to mention moving all the wood planks back out to stay in the hall until their installation. The prospect of getting it finished before Christmas since I can't even start is seemingly hopeless, so I shall have to go to some ghastly hotel in London for Christmas lunch, just to get out of the place.

No comments: