Saturday 3 November 2007

Christmas Past and Presents

Along with the usual bumf from the Folio Society was an offer for the Pink Fairy Book and the Blue Fairy Book. These are both gorgeously bound and illustrated, the Pink one being newly and beautifully illustrated by Debra McFarlane. I remember avidly reading all this stuff when I was between five and ten, and reading them to my son, but who would read them today? I know one or two girls between six and ten. The only things which seem to interest them is dressing up as teens, wearing makeup and adoring groups such as Girls Aloud. Maybe no one reads them apart from oldies like me, to remind them of the stories of their childhood.

I have become intrigued by the novelty items for sale from Firebox, even apart from the Borat mankini. They are selling Wild Hibiscus flowers in syrup which you drop into a fizzy drink and they open out and apparently taste delicious. Then there are transparent lollipops with entire large insects inside - do I know any nasty little boys? Then chocolate shooters, which are small chocolate cups to fill with the liquor of your choice. The most worrying one is some coffee, apparently delicious, which has been eaten and 'passed' by the Sumatran Civet Cat. Really.

No comments: