Thursday 15 November 2007

Mirrors, Chintz and Glasses

I have been vainly attempting to tidy up. I took my Venetian mirror to a neighbour who is very glad to have it.

I do seem to get these impulses to buy things. Sometimes I have gone off them completely by the time I have them home, as in the above case, and sometimes it takes a year or two. I am even becoming rather bored by most of the chintz plates and bowls I have bought at vast expense during last year. I may need to offload these. I have fallen in love with some rather nice Limoges plates in a pattern called 'Onde' . They are white, with raised bits which look like the sand when the sea pushes it up in curves. Even Julian likes these.

However Julian disapproves of my liking for Versailles glasses as I suspect they are thought to be too fancy looking. Julian would rather I bought some nice crystal until I mentioned the prices. However, if I ever do launch into vast expense and buy some, we have decided that the best pattern is Grasmere, by Cumbria Crystal, having carefully looked at some others. If I ever do this, I may just get one set of all purpose type wine glasses and a set of whisky tumblers. It seems that Dorothy prefers Riedel glasses which are plain and rather cheaper. Kind of in between, there is Iona by William Yeoward, which are rather nice thumb print glasses.

No comments: