Sunday 18 November 2007

Nibby, Holy Pictures and DVDs

had a long chat with Nibby this morning. She was being terrorised by a huntsman spider about the size of a hand crawling over her window. She asked me about the holy pictures we used to buy at school. I seem to remember they were highly coloured Italian prints with deckle edges in gold. She says she filled her prayer book with them at school, and looking at the beautiful skies in them was the only thing that got her through the long hours in chapel on her knees. Her daughter was asking where they were and if you could get them now. I said I doubted if they would have such good ones nowadays, but they might be found in Westminster Cathedral bookshop and I undertook to have a look at some time in the future.

Nibby also mentioned a DVD which she had seen and which she thought was a marvellous Norwegian film called 'As It Were in Heaven'. She said I must see it. Amazon have it at about £23, which seems a lot, so I may delay buying this for a bit. Also, Julian and Dorothy have my DVD player which I hardly know how to work anyway. Apparently the new TVs with DVD players are no good because they can't play stuff you record at home. A bit short sighted I would have thought.

Anyway, all this got me thinking about some of the really good foreign DVDs I saw when in Spain, such as 'Elling' and 'La Communidad' and masses of others. When I sort out the TV and DVD problem I might well purchase some of these as they do bear viewing more than once. I have now had a look and lots of them are only in something called Region 1 NT something which is apparently not compatible with our machines. Such crap really.

No comments: