Monday 17 March 2008

Alterations, Theft and Impromptu Chowder

I took my jacket and skirt into the shopping centre for alteration. They will be ready to pick up after work tomorrow. At the same time I slipped into Iceland to try and buy some unsalted butter. None there. Just as I was leaving someone called my name, and it was one of the punters, who had been shopping from a disabled scooter. She had got off the scooter to fetch something from a shelf, and someone had stolen her purse from her bag. Unbelievable. Anyway she had been cheered by winning our tea for two surprise prize at the raffle and was looking forward to taking a friend to this afternoon out. I then found the butter in Tesco, but also a mix of fish pieces for a fish pie, including white fish, salmon and smoked haddock. I bought this and decided to make a kind of chowder.

This is how I did it: I fried a small shallot in butter without browning it and added a couple of drycure bacon rashers. I put this lot into a saucepan to which I added about a pint of whole milk,two bay leaves, some parsley and a couple of cloves plus a clove of garlic. I simmered it for a bit, then added the fish and a handful of frozen peas and simmered for a couple of minutes. Taking a tip from Delia, and having forgotten to buy a potato or two, I gently stirred in some instant potato. I shall let this get cold to mature, then have a bowl or two from the microwave tonight. It tastes delicious even now. A bit less hearty than a fish pie, but nice with my newly made soda bread, made just in time for St. Patrick's day.

No comments: