Monday 24 March 2008

Pass the Parcel

I have just discovered that Ebay is the place for coloured dinner candles and paper napkins of all kinds. I really think we are being forced to shop online because of the lack of goods in normal shops and am wondering how far this will go - maybe shops will all go out of business one day.

Back to work again today - I could really do with another day off, but needs must. Besides, there will be huge piles of post waiting since I took last Thursday off.

People are talking on TV about children and parties, and how they have to supply entertainers, and also party bags after the party. I remember when Dorothy was young organising a couple of parties, and we used surprise packets that you could buy at the local stationers for a few pence. I remember doing big jars full of sweets for children to guess the number of sweets in the jar, making bean bags to throw at cans suspended on planks at childrens eye level in the garden, playing 'statues', 'pass the parcel', 'poison spot' and so on. Mind you, one party became a bit out of hand with some boys finding water pistols and squirting people, so they had to be taken for a game of football, and the girls continued with the games. I think that was the year Dorothy invited everyone in the class. After a couple of years of such mayhem - one year the wonderful ice cream cake from Marine Ices nearly melted - I decided that taking a friend or two on a special birthday outing was the way to go.

No comments: