Sunday 23 March 2008

More Sunday


It is now 11am. The snow has stopped. This is the view from my kitchen window. I have peeled my Bramleys, cut them into big chunks and put in water and lemon juice. I cooked the lamb for 40 minutes last night and this morning, skimmed most of the fat off. I removed the meat and reduced the stock a bit. I then peeled about 15 shallots and fried them in goose fat and added some sugar until they were slightly caramelised, then added to the meat. I then added a little more seasoning, some baby carrots, new potatoes and baby turnips and cooked for another 20 minutes. I then removed the vegetables. I cooked some more carrots and turnips in a little of the stock for three minutes in the microwave. I shall add some of the vegetables and some frozen peas to these and cook them briefly in the microwave to serve with the reheated casserole. This way the vegetables will not be overcooked (apart from the potatoes, which I should have left until 20 minutes before serving) and will retain their shape and colour. I have also made some home made mint sauce: a handful of chopped mint with 2tsps sugar and half a cupful of boiling water. Stire and leave to go cold then add vinegar to taste. Just before serving the main course I shall put the sugared apples and blackberries in the oven covered with pastry, to serve with cream or ice cream for pudding.

Since I do not know when Dorothy and Julian are arriving, this could either be lunch or dinner. I suspect it may be dinner for me and lunch for them.

No comments: