Thursday 20 March 2008

Rain, Oxford Street and Borough Market

A tiring day. Wet and windy. I got up very late and finished reading The Hill. It was quite difficult to read at first, full of 19th century Harrow expressions, snobbishness and so on. Now I know where I got some of my strange ideas as a child. Anyway it mustn't have been too bad because I was glued to it until finished.

I got my bus pass renewed for the next couple of years and went on up to Oxford Street. Found some paper table napkins in John Lewis, but could not find blue candles for my candlesticks anywhere, strangely. I am sure it is not just my imagination that you used to be able to find several colours of candles in any old shop, but not now. I then went to Borough market for some Bramley apples and herbs then did a recce of Shipp's Tearooms. Surprised that they didn't have Lapsang, so had a pot of Earl Grey, some excellent cheese sandwiches for lunch, followed by some very nice coffee cake. A couple of prizewinning punters came in and joined my table for afternoon tea, which was really good. The place was totally full and is a great success. When I was younger I always fancied having a tea room.

Heard a dreadful non PC joke on the telly told by an elderly POW talking about another: "He saved a woman from being raped once, you know" (pause) "he changed his mind". Well it made me laugh anyway.

No comments: