Wednesday 3 June 2009

'Hoppy'

Last day for this week - not in until Wednesday next week. Spent most of the day looking up info for the annual report, but at lunch was reading about John 'Hoppy' Hopkins, an old man I think I once met when he was a very young man years ago. He is more known as a photographer but when I briefly met him he was probably at university and I was just a schoolgirl. We lived in Runfold, near Farnham, and our neighbour, a bank manager with several studenty, arty daughters lived down the road. During the summer they walked around barefoot, which impressed me greatly, and during one summer a young man, introduced as 'Hoppy' - John Hopkins, came to stay with them. He was very tall and slept in a tent in the garden which was not long enough so his legs stuck out when lying down in it. Maybe he wasn't the same Hoppy, but I think he was, as he is now 71, so the age would be right.

Seems his life has been one long adventure since. There's an exhibition of his photography called 'Hoppy Against Tyranny: Talking about a Revolutionary' at the Idea Generation Gallery, London E2 from June 19 to July 19th. I may even go. We shall see.

No comments: